“through the act of living, the discovery of oneself is made concurrently with the discovery of the world around us. . ."

Thursday, January 22, 2009

I do not look at me



I  do not look at me

In the mirror much these days.

This bald pate,

This fleshy, swarthy face

Except to brush teeth

And the vexing necessity to shave.


I do not see me in the mirror

Just the yellowing teeth

And the graying stubble.

 

I do not need a mirror anymore

Having seen me for

Half a century and more.

I know me well enough.

 

But the occasional glimpse -

When my eyes meet my eyes-

Tired, watery, dead -

He asks me silently, ‘Why?

Why did you let life

Slip away?’

*****************

Balachandran, Trivandrum, 23.01.2009

 

3 comments:

  1. This one left a lump in my throat. A solid lump choking something...Beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No choking and lump in the throat for me -after knowing you. Ha !
    the "narcissist" painting can be gifted to our aniyan.sree@gmail.com
    ha ha !!!

    keep the pen active anyway.

    Bye Anil

    ReplyDelete

Leave a word, please!