“through the act of living, the discovery of oneself is made concurrently with the discovery of the world around us. . ."

Wednesday, November 11, 2015

The Winds of Nagercoil




Like being hit by a speeding truck
And then, like a lover’s  gentle caress
The winds of Nagercoil blow
From the east, the west and all around.

Among the grass, the dragonflies veer-
Swing up and away and then twist
To drop: pummelled by the winds, they
Grapple with the twigs as if on a joyride.
The ponds ripple; little waves rise
Like young girls shivering at their lovers’ kiss.

The crows and doves like drunkards
Stagger in the air; the tall palms sway
Their leaves chatter, huddled close like kids
The green paddy, as far as the eye can see-
Undulating waves of a vast sea.

Then – the winds would drop
As suddenly as it blew.
Dead calm – and you wonder
If the winds were a dream,
A hallucination.

Nagercoil suits me fine.
Because, within me too,
The winds blow, blow, blow –
And die - all of a sudden...

*************  Balachandran V. Trivandrum. 11.11.2015

2 comments:

  1. Ha!
    I can feel the winds.
    Partly because me too am from nearby Nagercoil.
    I did enjoy these winds every day. But then it felt nothing.
    Now that I miss, I know.
    Thanks for letting that breeze brush against me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for writing the BlogI am glad to read your blog

    ReplyDelete

Leave a word, please!