“through the act of living, the discovery of oneself is made concurrently with the discovery of the world around us. . ."

Friday, April 29, 2016

Fish out of Water



In this heat, I sweat profuse.
I splash water at my armpits
The nape of my neck
And shameless,  over my genitals.
On the bed, in the nude
I fart and sigh, happy.
The dogs lie legs up in the air,
Too tired to smell the wind.

I choke at the chilled lemonade
Gurgling down my throat.
Out in the portico, a crow
Dips its beak and then jumps
Into the clay pan, splashing in the water.

I wish I were a fish,
Swishing my tail, chilling
With the mermaids.
But then, the fish are dying
And the birds and bees too.
Soon, we too would, for sure.

****** Balachandran V, Trivandrum 29.04.2016


7 comments:

  1. Well captured.

    But why is it that everyone seem to complain about the heat?
    I'm sure we anticipated this:
    When we built our concrete houses
    When we bought more vehicles
    When we looked away when some one cut down trees
    When we celebrate any event with crackers and blasts

    I do suffer the heat.
    But I don't complain. Because I deserve it.
    Pity the birds and animals who suffer for something they didn't do.

    Again, well captured.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sree,Mia culpa, though not fully. Except for a car bought at the ripe old age of 57, I am not guilty of the rest! But yes, the humanity is and being a despicable Me, I stand guilty too! I have copies your lines on my Facebook page. Would you be one of those who graze on the FB fields? If yes, check me out - Bala Chandran.

      Delete
  2. I exist on FB, but not alive.
    I checked out your page though.

    Back to Trivandrum? Or shuttling between Nagercoil and Trivandrum.
    Hope you still have your old number: the one that ends with 368.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What Sreejith says is true to its roots.We are the offenders and defenders while the other beings also bear the bitterness of our deed.Well said about heat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great trip which inspired the perfect travel blog. Low Cost Flights Tickets

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a word, please!